Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Anxiety & Professionals





As a psychologist, I am frequently inspired by the resiliency people display in everyday life. Through the Internet and the power of social networking, I have met amazing women whose stories need to be told. Read their success stories and be inspired. I've written full-length posts about each them before. Here I'm sharing their success strategy with a link to their full story.

1. Accept Yourself: Celia
  • “You’re doing great work, but you’ve got to come out of your shell.”  
  • “Have you always been this quiet?”
  • "You need to ask yourself, What would Queen Latifah do?"
Celia had heard it all before (well, maybe not the Queen Latifah line). Teachers made her feel that her quiet temperament was a weakness. And she believed it. At least for awhile…

Celia learned that self-acceptance was the first step in overcoming her anxiety. “The more I convinced myself that being quiet is the same as being weird, the more quiet I became,” she said.
She also learned that shyness had its strengths.
“The real revelation for me is that being shy isn’t even necessarily a social handicap. Shy people have a great gift: their gut about whom to trust. It comes from years of observing people and a deep fear of being burned, and it pulls us away from the frigid, hateful and fake.”
"Being shy is, if not a virtue, at least a blessing: it’s a heightened social sense, an intuitive risk aversion that keeps us far from broken bones and broken hearts."
Read Celia’s story: I'm Shy and I'm OK.

For more on this story click on http://www.psychologytoday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment